Saturday, December 14, 2013

Two In One Post: NCLA Nail Polish Review and Partial Winstonia Review

School is finally done for the semester! So now I'll have more time to, hopefully, paint my nails and write more blog posts! I decided for this post to make it more of two reviews in one post since I used some of my Winstonia order with one of my NCLA nail polishes. Thought it would be appropriate, yes? 

First I'll start off with my partial Winstonia review which the items that I purchased are in one of my previous posts. The one thing that I forget to purchase from Winstonia was nail glue (I would do that) so I had to get some at the store first.  I decided to try out my skull charms because I find them highly awesome and loved them. One thing I learned though from my experience with this? I am horrible at using nail glue! I got some all over my fingers and tried not to get them stuck together and I did make a little bit of a mess on my right hand ring finger. Practice makes perfect right? I was worried about how the charms would stay on my nails because they aren't completely flat. Other than the fact that they aren't exactly best friends when you run your fingers through your hair, they actually stayed on pretty well. I was impressed with them for staying on overnight and then I of course always end up doing something to make one pop off! I'm going to say that was because of my lack of nail glue skills and not the charms themselves. I have a little bit of practice ahead of me! Here's what the skull charms looked like on my mani I had on at the time:
This photo is outside with the flash on my camera.

 This photo is outside without the flash on my camera.

The second item from my purchase that I tried were the glow in the dark bead studs and like I previously said, I am horrible at nail glue. Before I had left for my Thanksgiving vacation, I did a simple white mani and tried to add these on since I thought it would be cool. It was honestly a bad experience and I'm going to say that it was also because of the nail glue and probably the fact that I don't have the best pair of tweezers to apply them. If I had used some of my topcoat instead of the nail glue I feel that it would have been a better outcome but I didn't think it would cause such a problem. I'm sad that it turned out the way it did but I did try to make the beads glow by holding my hand up to the ceiling fan light for about 30 seconds.  Since it wasn't a long time that the beads were exposed to the light, there was a noticeable, slight glow coming from them. Hopefully I'll be able to try using these again while taking a different approach to the application of them.

The third item I tried were the present bow water transfer tattoo stickers and there's a story for this one! I think the one problem that I have with these is just the instructions that are on the back of the package where it doesn't say to not put it on like a temporary tattoo. That is exactly what I did and it came out the right way on my right hand..for the most part. The problems that I had with these tattoo stickers were not the fault of the product itself but my own doing. I would like to say thought that after the step of soaking the tattoo sticker in water that you actually take your finger and press it on the tattoo which will pick it up the correct way. My left hand came out looking like this: 
 
With and without flash the bow is on the ring finger.

Can anybody tell what my mistake is?  It's funny to me that I didn't think about what was happening while I was in the process of doing it. The bow is definitely on backwards but I do think it still looks pretty decent! Now I re-read through the instructions on the back and it took me a moment to put two and two together but I had finally got it. I went through the process again but got the bow the correct way and I was amazed by it....until I put my topcoat on. It clearly states in the last few steps that after applying the tattoo sticker, dabbing off the extra water, and before putting the topcoat on, is to blow dry it. And that would be the step that I forgot to do! I tell you guys, I'm making a lot of mistakes with these first tries on items! But nonetheless I will definitely keep using them until I find out a good way to do it! Here's what the correct tattoo sticker should have looked like and part of the middle of it came off with the topcoat since I forgot to blow dry it before putting it on

This is what the bow is supposed to look like. Notice the missing part in the middle?

This now brings me to the second part of my review post with is about my NCLA nail polishes. Back when I had my weekend nail polish haul I had order two different nail polishes from NCLA but then realized I already had one of them.  When I got the package in the mail I wasn't satisfied with the second nail polish since I felt it didn't look the way the picture online showed it. After emailing their customer service, who were very helpful and nice, they had sent me exchange nail polishes which I then received. I decided to exchange them for "Without Me, There's No VIP!" and "Dead End Gorgeous" and they provided me with a tracking number as well. I'm extremely pleased with how NCLA had handled this and they were nothing but sincere and nice about it which is why I didn't mind waiting for my exchanges. "Without Me, There's No VIP!" is in the photos above with the tattoo sticker bows and I really like the color. Of course it wasn't sheer enough with just one coat on so I put my usual 2 coats on and was pleased with how it looked. I was worried at first that it wouldn't cover well with 2 coats on but it actually did the job! 

"Dead End Gorgeous" is a mix of blue and purple shimmer and even though the photo they have on the website is a bit brighter than the bottle I have, I still love the color. I used this one first because I loved how it looked and on my nails it looked more like a darker black with a glimpse of purple and blue shimmer. I wasn't disappointed though with the photos on the website and my actual nails and honestly really love this color. As hard as I tried though, it was really hard to capture the nail polish on camera and it's a little darker than real life, but I still think it looks great. 

Both photos are with the flash on my camera.

 In the next photo I tried taking a picture of the nail polish in a brighter light (actually while I was getting my hair done at the salon, but sh!) and it was still difficult to capture.

Well that now concludes my double review post! Hope you guys enjoyed it and with the holidays coming up, maybe have gotten some gift ideas?! I'll have another review post soon about my I Love Nail Polish purchases which I was super excited for! So keep a look out for that post by checking back here, my Google + account, Twitter, or Instagram! Links are up at the top right of the page and feel free to click away! Also leave any comments you want in the post below or send me an email! Have a good day guys :)

No comments:

Post a Comment